Friday, May 20, 2016

What I've learned

I've been reflecting more and more over the course of the last year about what learning actually looks like - and how it's related to what we do in schools.

Earlier this week I was asked to create a small piece about my classroom as part of a much larger project. It took me a few days to track down a student to record the audio portion, but once I did, the entire movie (only 24 seconds) came together in under five minutes. I sent it off to the person in charge without a second thought.

Later in the day, as I was walking through the building, I realized how far I have come as an individual in terms of technology use. I only truly learned how to use iMovie last summer. Now I can import, edit, record and include audio, and be finished within minutes. The project I had completed would probably not have been possible for me (or at least taken significantly longer) if I had tried to do it a year ago.

It struck me how unaware we can be of our own progress in learning. I don't know why I stopped to think about how far I've come, but I'm glad I did because it is yet another remind of how important metacognition is for the learning process.

No comments:

Post a Comment