Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Back to School Night

After the GMD webinar on back to school nights last Tuesday, I started thinking about what I do at mine. And I thought about parents trucking along to eight different classes just to hear eight different sets of rules, policies, and generally boring things.

This year I'm going with three slides. I only have five minutes. When the parents arrive, they'll find a WODB activity with directions that ask them to justify their choice. As we move on, I'll give them a very brief, "Hi, here's who I am" while they fill out a Google form that asks who they are, who their daughter is, and if they want me to follow up with them about their daughter since we don't really have time to talk tonight. Then, my last two-ish minutes we'll talk about goals for the class: build a solid foundation for future math courses, develop confidence and a love for math, and enhance problem-solving and justification abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment