Monday, August 1, 2016

It's August!

August 1 – the official end of my summer and beginning of the transition back to school. As my travel wraps up, I figured the optimal time to write my first post for the MTBOSBlaugust challenge was on my flight home.

I’m suddenly very thankful that I spent the first two weeks of summer doing some planning, creating, and copying for the fall. I’ve sketched out some rough dates for units in each of my classes and have my basic framework in place. All that’s left is the fun part!

My experience at TMC16 was phenomenal, and I left with so many good ideas. Moderating when and how to implement each is now the challenge. Having followed the MTBOS for so long, I was familiar with a lot of the amazing things people are doing in their classes and have tried a lot of it myself. This year though, I’m focusing on structure. It’s primarily a behind-the-scenes organizational framework for myself, but I’m hoping that it will enhance my students’ classroom experience by creating a better flow.

The most obvious structural change is going to be the use of the words ‘claim’ and ‘warrant’ (from #TalkLessAM) to create viable arguments. I would like to embed that framework in all of what we do discussion-wise to make expectations clear and increase cohesion between topics.

Because I teach freshmen, I get a “preview” day with them as they walk through their schedule at orientation. I think it’s only five minutes, but I know that I want to use it more effectively than I did last year when we sat around looking at each other and chatting awkwardly. I think I’m going to play a game that teaches some growth mindset and is silly, fun and encourages interaction.

Beyond that, I’ve decided what Day 1 will look like:
Introduce claim and warrant while working on Estimation 180.
            Very basic course information/pass out expectations to be signed.
            Use a video (to be watched at home) for notebook set up so that I don’t have to take
                        the time in class and they get familiar with how the videos work.
            Play Mao.

I just learned how to play Mao this summer. I love it because you have to figure out the rules as you play. It is ideal for getting into growth mindset and problem-solving. It also reinforces the importance of consistency in enforcing rules and equitable treatment for all which I hope to do within our class environment. I’m not exactly sure how it’s going to work with a class of 24, but I’m excited to try it with them.


Sort of off topic: I’ve recently realized how many high school students do not recognize the four suits within a deck of cards so Mao can address this basic life skill as well J

No comments:

Post a Comment